Many riders and customers often say what a great life style having a mountain bike guiding company is, but it probably should be a business first and great office space second.
Here is a check list for you to start.
- Form a Company with the NZ Companies Registry
- Land owner permission. These may be DOC concessions, Recreation Permits for Crown Lease land from LINZ, private land holder agreements and possibly a resource consent.If offering transport:
- Passenger service licence
- Passenger endorsement
- Certificate of Fitness for vehicles transporting customers
- Create a Safety management plan (SMP) – this will need to include or be supported by SOPs, staff training and induction, Hazard and risk assessment register.
- DOC concessions will require you to have an independent audit completed on your safety plans.
- If your business will be guiding on trails that could cause serious harm or death and determined by Worksafe and the Health and safety at work act (Adventure Activities) Regulations 2016 then you will need to register your business and gain a higher audit from OutDoors Mark or Adventure Mark. Most trails over grade3 would fit in this scope – but to be safe: If you’re in doubt then there is no doubt you should be registered. It would protect you and the greater industry. http://www.legislation.govt.nz/regulation/public/2016/0019/latest/DLM6725604.html
Legislation regulations to consider:
- Health and Safety at Work Act 2015
- Health and Safety at Work (Adventure Activities) Regulations 2016
- Accident Compensation Act 2001
- Maritime Transport Act 1994
- Local Government Act 2002
- Land Transport Act Now 2017
- Land Transport Rule: Passenger Service Vehicles 1999
- The Conservation Act 1987
- Land Transport (Driver Licensing) Rule 1999
- Resource Management Act 1991
- Civil defence Emergency Management Act 2002
- Privacy Act 1993
- Employment Relations Act 2000
- Health and Safety at Work (Hazardous Substances) Regulations 2017
- MOSHH Assessment – chemicals used in work place.
For more information contact NZPMBA Guiding Representative:
Greg McIntyre Owner, Guide: Heli Bike NZ (Fat Tyre Adventures)